Friday, May 27, 2011

Working gratitude

This week I had an ephiphany about working. For most people, it's no great shakes, and I'm sure all y'all figured this out ages ago, but I'm kinda slow.

You ready for my less-than-earth-shattering realisation?

The work that I do for my clients can have a further reaching effect. I realised that while, sure, I wanna make money and all that shit, my main goal is that I want to be able to give jobs to people I know that desperately want to work, and are under-employed or unable to work in a traditional environment.

That's it. That's my huge epiphany. It doesn't seem like a lot, but it changes the entirety of one's perspcetive.

I've been humbled by the people in my life recently, when I try to do what feels like the right thing. I send some work to my buddy, and he offers to take me to lunch. "You're one of the great ones," he says to me. I'm not, really. I'm selfish and egotistical and spend a lot of time getting in my own way. I work with a friend who always has such nice things to say to me, sometimes I'm embarrassed that she thinks so highly of me. I'm told with some regularity how much people wish they could have my life - they are jealous of the things I do and have access to, and I all too often take it all for granted. My partner is incredible; my friends are some of the smartest, kindest, most generou people I know. I get propositioned by beautiful people and have experiences other people write fiction about.

It's humbling in an incredibly deep way, and makes me want to live up to that perception.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers